09 October 2014

ARC Netgalley: Alex by Sawyer Bennett


Cold Fury Hockey Series, book #1

My rating: 4 stars

*ARC courtesy of Netgalley and Random House Publishing*

The thing I liked most about this book was the heroine, I'm sorry for Alex but Sutton totally stole his one-man-show!!!
She's mature and kind and strong -definitely strong- in the way that counts the most: she had a bad childhood since her father was (is still) an addict but she didn't let it affect her in a negative way, she instead decided to use that experience to help other children in the same situation. From this two lines she probably came out as a goody-two-shoes but she's really not: she also has insecurities and bad moments but what make me really respect her is the way she dealt with them. In the relationship with Alex she was the strongest of the two because, even when she wasn't sure of the reciprocity of her feelings, she gave it all abandoning herself to the emotions she felt and expressing them in an unassuming way (and that takes courage!). What some readers could misunderstand for lack of passion -for the lack of drama and yelling and angry burst- I read it as a strength of character and fortitude.

That said I also liked Alex and the other supporting characters in the story (not Cassie though). The author did a really good job in casting believable and lovable characters for this book.
Alex wasn't the bad boy he tried to be, more than an asshole he just seemed to me that he liked to wallow in his loneliness and in the bad memories of his past.
From the start he recognized something special in Sutton and acknowledged her kindness and still -proclamations to expect the worst at any time notwithstanding- he didn't take advantage of it! He was in reality quite the good (dreamy) boyfriend to Sutton.

While I liked Alex and the way Sawyer Bennett told her story, I wasn't so overwhelmed and engrossed in it as it happens with some books so this remains a 4 stars read to me.

Finally I'd like to thank again the staff of Random House Publishing Group - Loveswept from NetGalley for the chance to read&review an arc of this book and I hope they appreciate my honest (and humble) opinion about it.

- Expected publication: October 14th 2014 by Loveswept-

 
Alex (Cold Fury Hockey, #1)

No comments:

Post a Comment