02 November 2014

ARC Netgalley: Draw Me In by Regina Cole


My rating: 2 stars

Synopsis from GR:
After her parents pull the plug on her college fund to finance their nasty divorce, Hailey Jakes is desperate to pay her own way and finish her degree in graphic design. She can hardly believe her luck when the sexiest guy she’s ever seen hires her to be the receptionist at his tattoo shop. With sea-blue eyes, jet-black hair, and full sleeves of tattoos on his muscular arms, Neill Vanderhaven looks like the kind of guy who wouldn’t give her the time of day. In fact, he’s mesmerized by her—and it doesn’t hurt that she’s talented as hell.
But Hailey and Neill have more in common than instant chemistry: They’re both carrying serious baggage. Hailey’s parents split after years of blowout fights and sloppy affairs. Neill just got out of something serious with a woman who loved her bad habits more than she loved him. When they take the plunge on a new relationship, they’re both breaking their own rules. But then a terrible misunderstanding brings Neil’s worst fears to life, and their connection threatens to come crashing down. What they have is more than skin-deep, but now Hailey and Neill need to decide whether the kind of love that lasts forever is worth such exquisite pain. 

*ARC courtesy of Netgalley*

TOO.MUCH.DRAMA!

Draw Me In started out okay, but as the book went on I became more and more aggravated with Neill and his insecurities and, at the end, I just couldn't stand him at all. Which pretty much prevented me from fully enjoying this novel.

Neill, having just escaped a bad relationship, is afraid of starting something new with Hailey. So far so good. Pity that his resolve doesn't last long: he kisses her pretty much the same day he met her but then he have seconds thoughts about it and ask Hailey to forget about it. That's not even the worst of it: he goes back and forth to "no I can't have her" to "I have to have her" at least three times...and for me that's three times too many Hailey put up with it. After Neill and Hailey had sex - the 2nd time-, he totally changes his tune and he starts to act as if their relationship went on for years, expecting total commitment from her and talking about love and whatnot. A little too soon maybe?! I'm sorry but instant-love is a pet-peeve of mine!
And then -I'm trying hard to not insert any spoiler - he misunderstands Hailey's behavior for a break up and blows out of proportion a quite simple situation. As I said at the beginning, there was too much drama in this story!!!
That's in fact only Neill's portion of this drama filled novel. Hailey's adviser also put a large contribution to it with his exaggerate obsession with her. Hailey's parents also did theirs. Hailey, for her part, left me indifferent. I didn't like her but I also didn't dislike her. Just meh.

Probably I'm not very argumentative in explaining my reasons for not liking this book very much but I think that my dislike for Neill overcame pretty much anything else.
It simply wasn't my kind of romance.
At last, I'd like to thank again the author for the opportunity to read her book for free and I hope she appreciates my honest review.

[release date: November 4th]

No comments:

Post a Comment